Laws Are Going To Be Changing, See An Immigration Lawyer Now

1 December 2016
 Categories: , Blog

If you are in need of adjusting your immigration status, now is the time to see an attorney about making it happen. When the new president takes office, laws may change that can affect your ability to change status or stay in this country. While nothing is set in stone just yet, it would not be a good idea to wait until they do. It could mean you have to leave your home and family. Here are just a few of the things that may be changing.

Detain and Deport

If you are here without the proper documentation, even if you once had it and it has expired, you will need to be extra careful with everything you do. If you are ever stopped by a police officer and asked to show proof of your right to be in this country, you will be immediately held in a jail until deportation can be arranged. You may think you are safe because you have no reason to ever be stopped or questioned. However, if you are a passenger in a vehicle that is stopped for a traffic violation you can still be asked to prove your immigration status. There are many reasons for the need to show proof of your status, it would be much safer for you to take care of the situation now.

Reversal of Laws

The current president has enacted a few laws granting amnesty to undocumented immigrants. The one that is going to affect many people has allowed anyone who was brought into the country without the proper documentation as a child will be allowed to stay and adjust their status without any penalty. If this law is changed, you may lose your documented status and be deported. In addition, if you have any type of criminal record, the new president is going to try to have you deported. This includes anyone with legal status. Contact an immigration attorney to find out if any law changes will affect you and how you can be sure to stay in the country if they do.

Unless you have a permanent change of status (a green card) and do not have any criminal charges on your record, it would be a good idea to seek out an immigration attorney as soon as possible. You do not want to have to go back to a country you have not lived in for a long time, leaving your home and family behind.